Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Presidental

While on my dairy farm trip, I did get to see a bit more of the south island, traveling from the towns of Balclutha, Clinton, and Gore.  Here are some pics from Balclutha:

The bridge over the Clutha River

The Clutha River

Not just sheep in New Zealand.

Clinton is a very small 5-horse town.  The sign says its a 3-horse town, but there are 5, so I assume there has been growth since the last census.  There are a few shops but its mostly a roadside village.

.
The 5 horses of Clinton.

Clinton Central Business District--a pub, taxidermist, and 'antique' shop.

The point of going to Clinton is to drive through to Gore.  No doubt you get the reason that the road between these two fair cities is called 'The Presidential Highway.'  Both President Clinton and Vice President Gore have had their pictures taken in front of this very sign:


Gore is a much larger town and is a hub for south-central Otago.  


Gore's Giant Brown Trout

There are a few other interesting things that I saw on my travels.

Would you eat at Wongy's Cod & Taties?  I chose not to.

The Milton Lions Manure Stall.  I did not think there were enough lions in New Zealand to produce this much manure.

Sheep cloning, as if there weren't enough of the 'real' thing.

And just in case my republican brethren thought the were being left out, take a closer look at the sign:


I will not underscore the subtle inference.  :)

1 comment:

  1. That's you, subtle with a capital S!

    Well done brother!

    Love
    Steve

    ReplyDelete