Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Education Upsidedown

They stand up.  When a teacher enters the classroom, the girls stand and stay standing until told to be seated.

I thought they were all preparing to walk out in protest.  Turns out, they just have incredibly good manners.  Still scared the hell out of me (but I hid my fear well).

Below are the things I really noticed about teaching at Columba College, as compared to teaching in Indiana.  I can only say these are true of Columba, which has long standing traditions, and NOT of all schools in New Zealand.

The Science Department.  This is a really cohesive, tightly knit, friendly group.  They are incredibly welcoming and helpful.  I have not been a member of a science department with the camaraderie this group has.  Not knocking my former Hoosier colleagues, just pointing out the strength of this group.  Might have something to do with being in a building dedicated (more or less) to science.

Morning Tea. This is not a joke.  Everyday, after second period, the teachers meet for "morning tea."  Everyone goes to the Staff Room and gets a cup of coffee or tea (supplied by the College), and sits down to three or four trays of snacks (like cheese and crackers or cakes, etc.--supplied by the College) and has a good chat until the Principal, Miss Wilson, gives morning 'notices' (announcements).  This also gives the students an opportunity to have a snack and some social time. Very civilized. Almost like second breakfast.

Lunch.  A full hour as opposed to the 25 minute marathon and does not happen until 1 PM. Again, very civilized.

Schedule.  The schedule rotates through the week, so you see each class at different times of the day throughout the week.  For example, I see the Year 13 girls Monday afternoon, Tuesday morning, Wednesday after lunch, etc. Wednesday's are different from the rest of the week as there is an extra period.  I teach five periods, all physics but three different levels.

National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA). I am still working at understanding the details on exactly how this works, but it is the goal.  According to the NCEA web site: 

The National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) is the main national qualification for secondary school students in New Zealand. NCEAs are recognised by employers, and used for selection by universities and polytechnics, both in New Zealand and overseas.
Topics (such as mechanics) within a subject (such as Physics Level 2) are taught as Internals or Externals.  Internals mean I write the exam, which is subject to review.  With Externals, the exams are written by the New Zealand  Qualification Authority (NZQA).  Teachers must teach a minimum number of Externals with each subject. 

Students.  Not angels, not all of them anyway. But 98% are remarkably polite, attentive, and very intelligent.  Discipline problems appear to be minor.  I expected a certain level of 'cattiness' but it has not been the case and I've been told it usually doesn't happen very often.  There is a great deal of pride in the school and though there is a lot of grumbling about the traditions, they are upheld.

There are more things, lots more, but its late and I don't want to bore.

The girls stand up.  Now if I can just get them to understand my jokes . . . 


1 comment:

  1. Jay, the idea of you being there is to bring the level up so do not get them to understand your jokes as it would defeat the primary purpose.

    I am so glad you experienced them standing and not I, for it would have most certainly given me an unrecoverable heart attack. Politeness in 2012? Other worldly!

    It does appear that you have, again, fell flat on your face into a bowl of chocolate fudge and vanilla bean ice cream! How do you do it? Even so, I am truly happy for you and I pray that Molly will experience the same glad tiddings!

    ReplyDelete