Saturday, October 6, 2012

Auckland

Early in October I had the opportunity to take a trip up to Auckland, the largest city in New Zealand and home to 34% of the nation's population at approximately 1.5M people

My previous trips have been through rather than to Auckland, so I had a chance to take in some of the sights.  Based on previous experience I did not think I would like it, but I did.  There was plenty to do and see and I enjoyed it.

Auckland--primarily built on volcanic remains



Auckland's most famous building: the Sky Tower.  It is that tallest building in the southern hemisphere. Most of the photos I took were from the top.  Some of the floor is made of glass.  It was a bit unnerving, but I was comforted.



If so inclined, you can bungy/repel from the top of the Sky Tower.  I was not so inclined.

Kiwi's take their bungy jumping quite seriously and Auckland is no exception.  This bungy took two people up (and down and up and ...) in a circular cage.  


Many residents live on the "North Shore" and take the ferry to the Britomart, which is the hub for public transportation (port, train station and bus depot).

Auckland's well deserved nickname is "The City of Sails"

Auckland crosswalks are quite interesting.  At major intersections, all vehicular traffic must stop when the pedestrian light goes green.  Not only can you cross horizontally and vertically, you can also cross diagonally (see arrows below)!


However, I don't think I would want to live in Auckland. The cost of living in Auckland is ridiculous. Older, small houses go for NZ$750k, the traffic infrastructure is poor and public transport is limited for such a large city.  So visit, but don't stay.

1 comment:

  1. Always fascinating, Jay, thanks for sharing! When are you getting back to Indiana?

    Steve

    ReplyDelete